WHAT'S IN THE MEMBERS AREA?
Learn Saxophone, on line, at your own pace.
Membership costs £4.99 per month (the cost of 2 coffees)
Don't want to be a member?
Alternatively you can buy the Beginner eBook!
This ebook has 6 stages in the course, and it will take you from ZERO to HERO in a very short amount of time. Now you’ll have the benefit of a tested and retested learning method! I promise you FAST and EASY progress, and you’ll have a lot of FUN during the process 🙂 The 6 ebooks in the series, each have 30 pieces of music, most of which are linked to videos with demos, explanations and written music to play-along. After you´re done learning the song, I play it with you at a slow and comfortable tempo, and you´ll always have an easy time putting it into practical use.
How the school works
Your membership allows you to learn on any device, accessing over 150 videos and music from the beginners course to the intermediate improvisation and funky sax courses.
How to Play Funky Sax
Learn to play funky solos over “Pick up the Pieces” and Pharrell William’s “Happy” . World class saxophonist Simon Currie introduces you to 16 funky sax phrases, that are shown to you with 2 cameras, and 30 videos. You will be show step by step how to play the phrases in a call his call response technique, with demonstrations on lip and finger slurs and funky tonguing techniques.
Complete beginner? This is the course for you!
The 72 page beginner sax tutor. This includes 65 videos demonstrating each new tune, and it also includes 120 backing tracks that have been professionally recorded with and without the saxophone for you to “go solo”. Each backing track can be slowed down for practice.
If you don't want to be a member the eBook can be purchased in 6 levels at £7.99 each
Lack the confidence to improvise?
The 5 video mini blues scale introduction course, easing you into jazz, even if you are only grade 1 standard. This course contains 16 backing tracks, again with and without the demo sax and can be slowed down for practice.
I want to play popular tunes with a nice backing tracks!
Loads of popular tunes with a scrolling score to play-along too, with great backing tracks recorded by top professionals.
Free Student Resources
Lessons at the Sax School
Saxophone lessons from highly acclaimed saxophonist Simon Currie leads the Newbury Sax School. Whether you are a complete beginner or a post grade 8 player, Simon will be able to give you the next step to becoming a better musician.
Lessons are given in Simon’s studio at his home in Hermitage, he has a Yamaha grand piano to accompany students, and uses his Youtube channel to base some of the lessons on. Whether it’s for a beginner child or an advanced adult, Simon has a wealth of experience having taught for 25 years in schools, colleges and at home.
His fees are £18 for a weekly ½ hour lesson, or £40 for a one off hour.
- A new group platform for musicians who want to take first steps into improvising / soloing.
Do you ….
- Lack the opportunity to improvise – are you already in a band where someone else always gets the solos, or in a band where there are no improvised solos or not in a band at all but would love to get into improvisation?
- Lack the confidence to improvise – are you worried about looking silly or playing ‘wrong’ notes or sounding uninteresting?
- Lack the know-how to begin – do you wonder how on earth to start playing by ear, how to come up with ideas, or how to sound good and create interest?
- Lead by professional musician Simon Currie, this new group will help you to make that vital first step into the world of improvising. With plenty of playing, a little bit of music theory (but not too much!) and lots of practical and constructive help towards starting and then improving your improvisation. The aim of the group is to provide a friendly, non-judgemental, non-competitive environment to help musicians develop improvisation skills. This isn’t a jam session but a structured group session where you’ll be able to learn from your own playing, and from listening to others. Using a variety of resources and techniques, Simon will help you to begin to enjoy playing without the aid of written music or a safety net!
- If you are already familiar with your instrument (not an absolute beginner) and have a basic understanding of music notation and terms. For any melody or lead instrument including but not limited to: woodwind and brass.
Workshop dates are being discussed at the moment
“I turned to Simon in need of so much help, I wasn’t quite sure how to articulate what I was after or where to start. During the first fifteen minutes of our first session, Simon had described my playing, my strengths and my weaknesses and set out an outline of what he thought I needed so insightfully and accurately, I knew that I was in the right hands. Having played saxophone for 30 years, largely self-taught, there are good bits to my playing and a wealth of bad bits and missing technique / understanding. Simon is adept at working on developing what is already good but devoting plenty of attention to the areas that are weak – in my case, musical theory and the rudiments of practice and technique amongst other things. Whilst he doesn’t pull his punches on what he sees that needs improvement, at all times the critique is constructive, practical and with development in mind. The lessons are packed – lots of playing and variety working on improvisation, tone, reading and theory – the time goes too quickly and it’s really, really enjoyable and done in a friendly, open way that encourages you. He articulates meaning brilliantly, putting a skill or a lick into context or where/how it will be useful and he listens carefully to understand you in order to better pitch the help he offers. A very skilled teacher and of course an outstanding player, anyone serious about becoming better on their instrument and becoming a better musician would be hard pressed to find anyone better – I recommend him without reservation”